Saturday, February 21, 2009

ELCA Human Sexuality Issue

Hi all.

As you probably know by now, or will know soon, the Task Force for ELCA Studies on Sexuality has just this week released a proposed social statement and a document entitled "Report and Recommendation on Ministry Policies" with recommendations for implementing resolutions at the ELCA Church-wide Assembly.

From what I'm seeing so far at internet news sites the reaction to this from those who post comments on those news articles is not good. In fact, I'd say it is insulting. ELCA is trying to deal with a highly sensitive, and I would even say, emotionally explosive issue. And it is to some extent tangental to the issue of same gender marriage and rights that is being dealt with in the political arena. Up north I have seen tempers get very hot pretty fast on both sides of the issue, with all the accompanying dehumanization and vilification of one's opponent that one could want in any conflict coming from people on both sides of the problem. What ever happened to civility?

I am not going to address that issue tonight. (If you want to know what I'm up to that prevents me from speaking on the issue right now I'm in my church office playing mp3's - Frank Sinatra, The Carpenters, Abba, Vangelis, my daughter calls it all "old dead people music" - finishing my sermon, and trying to get things posted on this blog.)

I have downloaded both statements issued by the Task Force. They are in pdf format and they are available at this link if anyone wants to read them first hand: http://www.elca.org/What-We-Believe/Social-Issues/Social-Statements-in-Process/JTF-Human-Sexuality.aspx. The proposed social statement, "Human Sexuality: Gift and Trust", is over 1200 lines long, and the "Report and Recommendations on Ministry Policies" is over 800 lines long, and I haven't had time to read them through and analyze them. I will do that, but remember - I am a slow reader. (Its called dyslexia and ordination does not make it go away.)

So - BE PATIENT.

Meanwhile, all I will say is that I am maintaining my position of strict NEUTRALITY on the issue. I have kept this position for years, since I was in my last parish in New York. Do not forget that I am called to be a pastor to people on both sides of the issue.

I am willing to hear from the people of the parish about the issue if they have any thoughts on the matter. I know some do.

I may consider creating another blog for those members of the parish who wish to post their thoughts.

Meanwhile, hang in there while the church attempts to discern where the Holy Spirit is leading us.

Peace be with you,

Pr. J

No comments:

Post a Comment